Why Must There be a Sixth Sense?

I know that the role of skeptic and cynic can can come across as boring and close-minded, especially in the field of religious studies. But, when it comes to talks of a sixth sense, it's the position that I inevitably find myself taking. When I say sixth sense, I don't mean any of the other senses that we actually have that could fill this role: the senses of orientation, of acceleration, of temperature, etc. No, I am referring to the idea that a human being can have a sense beyond the reaches of science, that some select few among us possess abilities that let them know things that they have no right knowing, to understand that which is obscured, to have a knowledge of future events to an uncanny degree of precision. I always end up asking of others in my mind when this notion is brought up, "Are you not satisfied with what you already have?" So many feel the need to conceive of senses beyond those which we already possess, they believe that there must certainly be a greater, truer means of knowing and perceiving the world. Honestly though, I can never understand why, the senses we have are miraculous enough as is. Is it not incredible that the sunrise continues to be beautiful, no matter how many times you have seen it before? Is the feeling of cool moss underfoot on a warm Summer's day not satisfying enough for you? Do you not find it remarkable that a piece of music can touch you so deeply that you're moved to tears? Are you not awestruck at the melange of flavors and aromas available to you simply by stepping foot in your local supermarket? Why is it that we must try and invent new modes of perception for ourselves when so many of us have barely even scratched the surface of what is possible with the ones we already have? I am grateful everyday for the ways in which I am able to experience my surroundings, as I'm sure everyone else in this class is. Why else would you take this class if not to celebrate the miracle of the senses? Of course, my criticisms of a sixth sense stem from my lack of a willingness to believe that one might exist. If you want to spend your time researching and seeking out the sixth sense, all the power to you. Meanwhile, I will be attempting to explore my senses to the best of my abilities while I still can.

Comments

  1. I understand this perspective, I like to think of the "6th sense" as a sort of place holder. Most of the time what can be ascribed to this sense is just the complex working system of the other senses that we have already described. Not to mention that there are some insane amounts of senses that have been described beyond the ones we have focused on in the seminar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post to be very inspirational. Out of all the blog posts this was the most different, yet intriguing one. To question why there must be a sixth sense was so interesting. Yet you had so much to offer throughout the entirety of this blog post. I loved the different way of thinking and it really made me start think more towards this idea than any other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great points, and complement Elizabeth Shelto's observations about a "6th Sense" nicely. Is there a 6th sense because some of us want there to be one, as you, Oskar are suggesting? There's a part of me that, like you, think the obvious senses are rich enough in what and who they allow me to experience and to connect to. But what about people who do sense "things that they have no right knowing"? What are they supposed to do with that? And what am I supposed to do with the fact even with my mere 5 senses, I am aware that there are such people who have such paranormal experiences, even if I myself don't have them directly?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post