Spring 2020: The Weirdest Semester Of My Life


The fall semester of this academic year felt like one cohesive story. I started my first semester at Wheaton, met friends, navigated classes, developed a routine, and ended by going home for winter break. The semester had a beginning, middle, and end. This semester did not. There was certainly a beginning, but I quickly learned that spring break, which I thought was going to mark the middle of the semester, actually marked the end. Two weeks later, I began the semester online, with the same people and classes, but this time a completely different setting, curriculum, stress level, way of communicating, and world. The end of this semester doesn’t seem near. For one, I still have a number of exams and papers to get through until I am formally done. But I also have no way to mark the end of the semester- I can’t say goodbye to friends or move out of my dorm- so it doesn’t feel like the semester will really end. After this semester officially ends, everything will remain the same. I will still face time friends and take time to read. I will still prioritize learning and spending time with people I care about. This entire summer, or at least until it is safe to leave home again, will feel like a never-ending Spring Semester.

This semester has felt like one of those Madlibs games you play as a little kid, where you come up with a bunch of random nouns, verbs, and adjectives and throw them in a story. We had a normal beginning, but ended up experiencing political tension, impeachment trails, international conflict, natural disasters, a pandemic, and killer bees, all within 5 months. It feels more like an endless spiral of unrelated events than it does a well written story with a clear plot and an end. But if I have learned anything from reading books, this all will have to end at some point. Diane Ackerman’s A Natural History Of The Senses was a terribly written book, in terms of plot. There was no cohesive thread throughout the book, it was just a compilation of anecdotes, all seemingly unrelated. Ackerman’s book was a series of unrelated events that made the book confusing to read and impossible to decipher the point of. Despite how bad it was, after I finished reading the book, I understood why she wrote it. I walked away with a deeper understanding of the senses, and why they are so vital to our lives. I may never understand why she wrote in such an odd style, or why not all of her “facts” are true, or why she thought a story about cows dying in quicksand was a good way to begin discussing the beauty of whale songs. I will probably never regard Ackerman’s book as a full, complete, halfway decent story, but at least I got something out of making my way through it. Hopefully, I will be able to say the same about this semester.

Comments

  1. What goes on in that mind of yours? You're quiet in class, so it's not always easy to know what you're thinking. But when you write - such an interesting, provocative, and eloquent take on things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post