Postmodern Touch, and Some Guy Getting Arrested in my Driveway Yesterday

It feels almost ridiculous to write about touch at a time like this. Shaking hands, hugging, kissing, high fives, a slap on the back, a kiss, all are forbidden. It's been months since I've touched another person besides hugging one of the family members I'm quarantined with. I don't even know how I'll possibly readjust to interacting with people normally, or when I'll get the opportunity to make that readjustment. I've been managing alright, but I need to start being with friends soon.
I think if there's something good that might come out of this, it will be a reevaluation of our hierarchy of the senses. Zoom, FaceTime, and many other bits of software can do wonders recreating our so-called "higher" senses of vision and hearing across time and space; I can talk to and see my friends without any issues at all. I'm sure that we are all in agreement, however, that this type of interaction is missing something, that it feels hollow. I don't think we recognize just how integral touch is to how we connect with one another. It forms the foundation for other types of interaction. There's a reason why shaking hands is such a common greeting, it forms a physical connection with the other person.
Our society has been focusing less and less on touch as time has gone on. I'm not saying that it's all bad, clearly the fact that mouth-to-mouth kisses are no longer common ways of sealing deals has allowed us to be a little bit safer with our exposure to diseases, and all of the measures currently in place are absolutely necessary. But I think that, when the coast is clear and coronavirus has been successfully managed, we should spend a little bit more time appreciating each other's touch, whether it be from a friend, a family member, a lover, or even a stranger.
Apparently, part of a sobriety test involves sticking out your leg for a while
Also, this is only tangentially related, but it is absolute gold in terms of writing potential, so I have to include it. Yesterday afternoon, a stranger pulled into the driveway of my home and began desperately asking my dad (who was outside at the time, trying and failing to start the riding mower) where our landlord was, the previous resident of our house. My dad barely had time to tell him "Eric doesn't live here anymore" when a state trooper comes pulling in, lights flashing. Apparently, the guy had been either speeding or driving erratically across the causeway that connects Deer Isle to Little Deer Isle (the rather uncreative name for the island that connects us to the mainland), realized that he was getting tailed by a cop, and was going to attempt to get our landlord to hide him from the police. What transpired next (as viewed from my kitchen window) was a rather lengthy sobriety test that, as I'm sure you can guess, the erratic driver failed miserably. While this was going on, I was contacting as many of my local friends as I could in an attempt to find out just who the hell this guy is. The name of the fishing vessel on his sweatshirt was enough for a friend to pin down who he was; At that point, I had both of the two key identifiers for a man in rural, coastal Maine: the lobster boat he works on, and the make and model of his pickup truck. I will not include his name here for the sake of discretion. Anyways, he was arrested, and his wife (who was in the passenger seat the whole time, and of a questionable level of sobriety also) filmed the whole thing. The cop drove off, followed by the wife in the pickup truck a few minutes later. Seeing when in the arrest process the cop decided to don a mask and provide one to the arrestee was one of the more entertaining parts of the ordeal.
The point of all of this is that watching this random drunk driver get toted off in the backseat of a trooper car is one of the few human interactions I've had/been able to witness since this shitshow started. When will I be able to have a normal human interaction again? Am I relegated to peering through the window at other's misdeeds for the foreseeable future? How much longer until I'm able to just shake someone's hand?

Comments

  1. I have most certainly felt this rearrangement of senses and it is a pretty stark wake-up call especially when I feel we take our senses for granted most of the time. I also feel like we have to engage with absolutely insane moments such as this, you will find nothing better than something that makes you mind spin when the times can be so dull. Let us hope that all of this will come to an end at the safest moment it can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how within you blog post for one of the five senses you connected it to a very current idea happening in our world today. To be able to connect one of these posts to a very current issue/crisis in our world today creates such a compelling piece of writing that grabbed my attention from the very start. Furthermore, you went on to go deeper into explaining the main idea of the sensation of touch which was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's as if all of our senses are getting really "hungry" in this time of social-distancing sensory sensory deprivation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post