Making Lethals

In my free time, which will soon increase exponentially, I have been writing a comic. I have reached the stage where I have found an artist, so now I have someone who actively thinks about the comic, besides my future fans. And it's been very interesting

Thankfully I found the artist through the internet, he lives in Egypt, so while there's been some culture shock, like when I had to explain to him what the suburbs were (and frankly I don't know if I did that good a job). For the most part, he understands my vision well. There is one blatant exception to that. It was infuriating, it debate went on for hours, It made me feel alive, it drove me mad, and it regarded what some might call a minor detail: the color of the protagonist's eyes

While we decided the comic would be black and white, there would be some exception to that, regarding the main character, who is so powerful he partially breaks the rules of how we've chosen to format the whole thing. The protagonist, who normally goes by the name of Riley, has several personalities, and with each one their own colored irises. Riley, the most normal and arguably least powerful would have hazel eyes, serving as a middle ground between the other two. Stone, the strong and silent type, would have Brown eyes. Spree, the manic giddy one, who wore old school 3-D glasses, would have green eyes.

As I explained that to Omar, the artist, he had thoughts of his own. For starters I couldn't quite explain Hazel to him, as a green brown, he should me a sample that came off as gold, and I thought it was too exotic for what Riley would go on to be in my plans.  So we decided to re-evaluate the color schemes for the three sets of eyes

For more than an hour we messed each other back and forth, this was the fastest we ever replied to each other. "What if his eyes were Red" " That's too evil, he's crazy, but not evil" "Stone should be purple" "Oh I like the idea of purple, but for Spree" "Riley could be blue" "I like Blue for that". We landed in a good place, then it was a question of how the guns would look, and my god they looked better than I dreamed, so I happy to make concessions on the eyes. But I learned how we picture things in our heads, how other people picture things and ideas in their heads, often all vary from what reality turns out to be.
Page 3, Issue One, Inked and Colored

Comments

  1. It's interesting to see how you use difference in colors to explain a power dynamic here. I think it's obvious that we use various colors to describe certain emotions and how we explain what they mean to us, so this was a good example of that. Good luck with your comic, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy how even if we lack synesthesia, we can think about someone's personality and confidently assign them a color?

    Also it's a long shot but are Spree's glasses inspired by Spider Jerusalem?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post