Tasting in Life:


As I have stated in previous blog posts, I have had a life relatively devoid of religion so a lot of my initial thoughts when it comes to the senses does not immediately see the deep connective tissue between the two categories, yet taste and its associated ritual activities is one of the easiest connections that I have made. I understand how deeply comforting and powerful the act of preparing and eating a meal can be, it made sense faster to me than any of the others. There is something very special about this sense, and Perez captures it in her book, Religion in the Kitchen, with describing how the family she was working with had found their last house completely unsatisfactory due to the awkward and small design of their kitchen. The cooking process as well as food was so intertwined with their faith that could not be the same without.

Just this year I have really started to get into cooking, I had done a lot before for jobs but that kind of sucks the enjoyment right out of the activity but this post isn’t about alienation. I have really had the opportunity to cook and actually get into it with family and loved ones, and this makes a huge difference. I understand all of the impact that goes into each associated act, all of the senses at play along the way, and the grand satisfaction that comes with finishing it up and chowing down. It is almost spiritual.

One of my absolute favorite dishes to cook and the most beautiful sound!

Comments

  1. I didn't do much cooking myself until i went abroad last fall and i had to be cooking meals for myself. I also found it kind of meditative, a relaxing process with rhythmic movements like chopping carrots or the sound of boiling water.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post