Birds

So, anyone who knows me even a little bit probably knows that I like to go birdwatching, or "birding", in my free time. I get that this is a hobby that is probably kind of confusing or strange for a lot of people and that it makes me a total dweeb, but I do genuinely enjoy it. I love all wildlife, it just so happens that birds are incredibly abundant, vibrantly colored, and have a support network for people that like to watch them. To say that that the fulfillment I get from birdwatching is spiritual would be one hell of an overstatement, but it does let me connect with nature in a more active and in depth way. The moment of recognition, where you can look at a bird and be absolutely sure that you know what it is, is incredibly validating. Birding lets me attune myself to my senses and attempt to experience more deeply.
A White-Winged Crossbill, one of the rarer birds I've seen this year
The notion that idolatry is in some way a lesser form of religious practice has always confused me. Hinduism is in no way lesser because they use idols in sensory worship; all we have are our senses, and to deny the incredibly power that they hold, I think, weakens our ability to live our lives fully. The sensory pleasure of the world, especially the visual ones, are some of the most incredible things that we can partake in. I think that worshiping created things, as an embodiment of the force(s) doing the creating makes about as much sense as just worshipping the force(s). I'm not here to try and dissect the validity of the guidelines of Abrahamic religions though, I just wish people wouldn't be so worried about enjoying themselves.

Comments

  1. I think this a good analogy between darsan and bird-watching, since the point of both seems to me at least be to connect to the murti or the bird by _seeing_. But in bird-watching, unlike in darsan, is it only one-ay seeing. Or is it important or even desirable for the birds to see you back? Then it would be even more like Hindu darsan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post