The Evolution of Worship Music

 


        Anne Rasmussen's examination of the Qu'ran and music and how it both interacts with this sort of feminism through women being the leaders of performances and teaching songs to their community and how Islamic music has evolved made me want to talk about the evolution of worship music, from hymns to Christian music festivals. I remember being surprised when I attended a service at LifeChurch, a non-denominational (I believe- they may be more Evangelical but the one I went to said they were non-denominational) church at how modern it was. It didn't even take place in a stereotypical chapel or church, it was actually in a retirement home. My bewilderment at this setting was even a subject of discussion because the pastor then went on to say that church is "us." It's not a physical location, it's the community. Anyways, I digress. 

    Aside from the lack of pews and stained glass, I was even more pleasantly surprised when it went to worship time. I had been expecting us to have to read some old hymns, but some people went on the small stage and started following along to some karaoke!?!? I was fascinated! The beats sounded just like any other contemporary pop music and they were quite catchy. Never have I felt such a strong sense of faith or community than when I am at this church, though I regrettably haven't been in a while. There's no pressure to join in, but I oftentimes felt myself singing along to the words. Catchy music. Good stuff. This genre of Christian music was so interesting to me! It was then that I was exposed to this way to connect to God through music. People were doing that classic arms in the air to embrace God sort of movement, and I also swayed along. There are festivals with Christian pop music! It's an incredible way to express your faith and devotion, and I am so thankful that I have been able to join in on this. I was so nervous that I wouldn't be able to really connect with or understand Christian hymns, but because this music was so personal and contemporary, it was a whole new form of accessibility for this faith. 

    Christian pop has made its way onto social media, especially TikTok- that one song, "Our God, is an awesome God/He reigns from Heaven above" was pretty widespread to the point that my almost-5-year-old niece even memorized the audio that circulated the internet. And honestly? While a lot of people used that audio ironically to make fun of it, I think it's kind of cool that it has become accessible for other people. Of course, people shouldn't be, like, forced to listen to it if they aren't of that faith- or even just don't like contemporary music, it's not for everyone- but they can always scroll away. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post