Real Experiences

     Coming fresh out of a pandemic, I believe one of the most important claims in the books we have read is Classen's in which she describes the importance of touch and tangible experience. Why do humans see concerts in person, when they could stream the same music online without spending nearly as much money or time? The answer is obvious—we are willing to pay a price to be part of a shared, tangible experience or to connect to someone special. 

    You might not think that for students as stubborn to participate and uninterested in learning as us that being in a classroom is preferred over zoom. Actually, upon coming back to campus, I heard endless remarks of those being happy just to be back in the classroom setting. They couldn't figure out why. Agreeing with Classen, it's because we need this tangible experience to learn effectively. You've probably heard about the "zoom fatigue" experienced by many during this time, and I have to agree. The real-life learning experience in which you can talk to your classmates and connect with your professors in person, the one we all grew up hating, was actually missed.

    I am so glad that I had the opportunity to take Smells and Bells in a classroom environment. The necessity for the tangible aspect of learning was fulfilled by ice breakers and class discussions, and I doubt a zoom banquet would have been nearly as delicious or wholesome without that real connection. I have come to a new understanding of the senses, not just in the way I experience life around me, but as tools for thinking about how I experience life around me. As it turns out, like with real-life learning, the senses are essential. I'll be sure to pay close attention to them from now on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post