Color Coordination, My Abhorred

  I am notoriously bad at color choices. I am always first to back out of PowerPoint design as I cannot for the life of me make it look decent, most of my closet contains clothing somewhere in the realm of blue, black, and gray, not to mention the time in high school wearing jeans and a t-shirt that was the exact same shade of navy blue. That last one I will blame on the fact that I was always running late and got dressed in the dark in my rush. This was also a clear issue when I started to make more and more friendship bracelets. It was always clear when I had picked out a bad color combination because those bracelets would stay on the door for a fairly long time before being claimed. 

My early solutions to this problem were to ask people what colors they wanted in a bracelet, however, this isn’t as easy to do with strangers who are just grabbing off of a door. This then led me to a random hex code color generator. I would generate 4+ colors at a time and picked the groupings that I hoped looked decent enough together. This worked alright until I discovered my real saving grace, a color palette generation website (https://coolors.co). This website randomly generates a color palette of 5 colors that all work well together. You can add colors as you like and I recommend playing around with it to see what you can get. With this tool, I was able to precut loads of bracelets and then just sit down and make them without having to worry about if the colors worked well together. Gone was the Pinterest board of color palettes and questionable color combinations, in was the Pinterest board of new bracelet patterns that I wanted to experiment with.

I have also recently gotten back into playing Minecraft. I used to just build myself a basic box of a home, and go mining in a new world until I would get bored and move on. Now I have found an interest in building things that look cool, but I have once again run into the issue that I cannot for the life of me make a color palette that looks good. Funnily enough, it was again on Pinterest that I discovered a Minecraft block palette generation website (https://www.blockpalettes.com). With this website, you are able to see block palettes that people have created, as well as search for palettes that include specific blocks that you want to work with. This website has helped me to find a cool block palette to work with in Minecraft so that my buildings don’t look like a hodgepodge of questionable choices.

Comments

  1. I think this post is so funny! I remember being in High School and only wearing black because colors appalled me and for the life of me I just couldn't figure out how to put them together. Black was always the safest option. It's so comforting to hear I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post