My Favorite Sense, Touch

     At the beginning of the semester, one of our ice breakers was to say what your favorite sense is. I hadn’t really put that much thought into it before, but I eventually settled on Touch as my favorite. As a way of dealing with stress, and as a way to keep my hands busy, I started to make friendship bracelets and recently taught myself how to embroider. I soon ran into a problem however as I only have so much wrist space. I didn’t want to recreate the silly band era of my life just with friendship bracelets, so I instead decided to put them up for grabs on my dorm room door. The reason I was able to create so many in the first place was because of the need to do something with my hands. When I’m watching TV I often feel like I can’t fully pay attention to the content if I’m not also doing something else. I think it’s a bit of the ADHD brain going on there, but once I start to make bracelets with my hands I find it easier to concentrate.




















One of the things that I also acquired with my newly discovered love of bracelets and embroidery is a minor obsession with string. The picture that I’ve included is of the string that I have organized. The rest is currently residing in a Target bag that I refuse to acknowledge. What you might not be able to tell from the picture is that the top row and bottom row are different. Yes they are organized in similar fashions, but the top row is my nicer (better feeling) string, while the bottom is my cheaper (not as nicer feeling) string. It’s crazy how even just the way that the string feels will affect the outcome of the project that I’m working on.



For example, I will use the cheaper string on most bracelets, as often time I’m making them quite quickly and for people that I usually don’t know. However, I will use the nicer string for bracelets for friends and family, and more noticeably I will use it when doing embroidery. I feel like this is one of the many reasons why touch is my favorite sense. Everyone experiences it constantly, and sometimes it’s just fun to experience different textures or feelings. 


Comments

  1. I was curious to read your post as someone whose favorite sense is also touch! Then, I felt a deeper connection upon seeing the images of friendship bracelets. I think we could bond over our shared love for this specific string. For me, these were so important as a kid. Not only did they keep me busy in the mornings before my friends arrived at camp (my working mother had to drop me off at 7:15!), but I also got to bond with the young campers by teaching them how to make them, and with others by exchanging them. I love the connection to the importance of touch here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post