My Neighbor, The Ghost

 I don't believe in ghosts. I'm not superstitious. I'm not particularly into astrology or tarot like a lot of my friends are right now. Abram's version of the sixth sense as more of a way of interacting with nature made a lot more sense to me than the version that immediately came to mind, thinking of ESP.

That said: I don't believe in ghosts but my neighbors' house is haunted.

Cartoon Ghosts - ClipArt Best

Or, at least, that's the conclusion me and my siblings came to when we had something like our 6th neighbor in that house in 11 years. It didn't help to change our minds given how abrupt some of their departures were or how strange some of those neighbors were (one when I was ten was a professional disc golfer and his really annoying six year old daughter-- I guess someone's bound to do that, but at the time it was the weirdest job I had ever heard of). Clearly, a ghost was scaring them away.

Four or five years ago, a family moved into that house. They had four kids- five?- and a rooster than liked to crow in the mornings. It took a couple years for us to realize that they didn't seem to be going anywhere. They're actually very nice people, they lent my mom a dolly once and gave us stones from their yard when we were trying to set up a garden in ours (though... we did Not properly communicate with nature on that one...). My siblings and I concluded that the rooster (or possibly the children) had scared away the ghost.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this. I've never believed in ghosts, not even as a kid, but at the same time I had no problem claiming a haunting as the obvious cause of the frequency with which we got new neighbors. Whether it was the (now thankfully gone) rooster that scared this "ghost" away or not, we don't seem to be getting new neighbors anytime soon.

Comments

  1. I think its very interesting how you don't believe in ghosts but can come to the conclusion that the house is haunted. I think we need more such people can are open to looking at phenomena that don't necessarily alight with what they believe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post