Nature is Magic, Science is Dumb

Reading Abram’s Spell of the Sensuous made me think about the way I consider nature itself to be magic. I see the sixth sense as any sensation that cannot be explained by the other five senses, which includes all magical and supernatural experiences. While I see the supernatural as unexplainable the same way I do magic, I see magic as something that is unexplainable but inherently natural. The ways plants, and all other living things communicate with each other and work together to create the world in all its beauty is magic to me. And yes I know most of that can be explained by science, but I feel like science is just a means to explain things that are known to be magic. I don’t want to be that guy, but I think science is kind of dumb. I see the benefits of science in every aspect of it, but I also think it’s kind of unnecessary; we don’t have to have an explanation for everything. While this goal to be able to explain everything has led to some incredible discoveries, it has also led to countless occasions of humans doing way too much and exploiting nature, not seeing it as a living breathing thing. Trying to understand better ways to interact with our environments seems much more important than trying to explain the way our environment works together separately from humans. I think if people looked at nature from the standpoint of seeing it as magic rather than something to be examined and explained, we would all begin to interact with nature in healthier ways. And maybe if we allow things to be and just work to have a reciprocal relationship with nature, we would get some of the explanations we want without having to do intrusive examinations on the earth.

Comments

  1. I will take your argument one step further and ask, why can't we see the magic in scientific processes? If nature is so magical, is it because it is a world so unexplored by us, so unknown? Or is it magical because of the various scientific processes that make all things behave in a specific way, for a specific purpose, with so much diversity? As someone who studies natural science, I believe there is magic not only in the natural world of which we know so little, but also in the fact that nature has the ability to make different living things so complex, while at the same time connecting to each other through their relationships and mutualisms. It seems magical to me that nature creates these different aspects all for a reason, even when humans have yet to understand it,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post