Believing in Dreams

The concept that dreams can be premonitions, messages, warnings, or anything in the realm of the transcendental or paranormal has never been something I even try to understand. Only twice in my life have I experienced or believed in a dream being more than just images concocted by the brain. The first one was my own experience. It was not anything special, just oddly clear and direct in a way. I had the dream when I was in seventh or eighth grade and I remember it perfectly.  I was with my family, somewhere beautiful but unknown to me. We were staying in a lovely house next to a crystal clear, shallow river, surrounded by sort of tropical looking forest. There was a gorgeous green lawn between the river and the house and the sun was shining. Every thing seemed perfect. I was swimming with my family, then they went back to the house, leaving me on my own. When they left, a large, sort of ugly, black fish appeared. It lurked for a while before darting at me and trying to bite my feet. I got out just in time and ran. I thought nothing of the dream until I told my grandmother about it. She told me it was a message. She said it meant that if I am somewhere unknown to me, even if it is pristine and beautiful, I should always be aware of my surroundings and if I am traveling far away, like to another country, I should never go alone. The color black in dreams represents depression, sorrow, grief, mystery, and danger. The fish represented that danger.

 
 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/470696598526880886/
  
This always resonated with me as something to remember going forward. I don't think it was any kind of premonition of something, it was basically just good advice. The only other dream that I have ever believed as something more than just the brain was a dream that my mom had about my grandmother the night after she passed away. My grandmother's death had already been associated with something transcendental, the presences of a giant red-tailed hawk on her balcony and it flying away right when she passed, so it was not hard to believe that my grandmother would visit my mother before moving on entirely. The manner in which it happened was too real for my mom to believe it was anything other than her mother visiting her one last time. She felt her mother hug her and saw her as if she was really there. She woke up crying and my dad was a witness. I fully believe her, she would never have lied about that. The reason why I don't tend to believe other people is because I don't know whether or not that person is bending the truth or not to get attention. It's fun to have cool and meaningful dreams but realistically, people lie, so it's always something I take with a grain of salt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post