The smell of my grandmas food

I have always found it amazing how when my grandma cooks that she never uses measuring cups or anything like that to cook her food it is all done by sight touch and mainly smell. She never messes up a meal even in her older age, and she is never cooking anything simple, and sometimes it is for hundreds of people. It is truly a sight to behold watching her in the kitchen I will never forget watching her cook and i cherish everyday that i still get to enjoy watching her and tasting her perfect food. Now I don't mean to brag when I say my grandmas food is the best but it really is the best indian food around she's a professional and her recipes have been published in her own cook book, so when I say she's the best I mean it.
This brings me to the amazing part of her cooking, and what made her cookbook so hard to publish. As i said she never uses any measuring when using the array of spices she uses in her spice box, just some of this and a dash of that. She can tell as things are cooking what something needs with such incredible precision its truly awe inspiring. These smells have in turn been ingrained in my mind, I'm not saying i can cook good indian food on any level, but i can tell the difference between great and decent indian food just by smelling it. this goes to show how powerful smell is because indian food is my favorite, but if it doesn't smell like my grandmas I usually won't bother eating it. It is no much of a surprise that my grandma is so good at cooking, she was the first of 12 brothers and sister. From the day she was able she was in the kitchen learning everything from my great grandma. It was important she learned how to cook because my great grandfather was a doctor, and his guests had to be impressed, and my grandma learned how to do that quickly and with flying colors. Some people find the smell of indian food to be too strong, but I've never had a friends walk in my house while she's cooking and not want to stay to try some of what their smelling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post