Seeing and Believing

The presenters in the "6th sense" group really made me think about some experiences I've had where I felt that I had a kind of 6th sense myself. As the readings we talked about discussed, there very well might be a "6th sense" element in recognizing coincidences, and perhaps their being much more than that. How is it that we recognize what a "coincidence" is to begin with, especially the seemingly smallest ones?

When I was little, my grandmother taught me a very simplified version of the "Heart and Soul" piano duet. We used to play it all the time together, even after I started taking lessons. I distinctly remember us sitting side by side at the piano bench; it's one of my fondest childhood memories.

My grandparents died within a year of each other. When my grandfather was admitted into the hospital after my grandmother had already passed on, I was feeling very lost and alone at the hospital waiting around, and I hadn't really been paying attention to the TV blaring as I sat in the waiting room--until I started to. Just as I looked up at the screen, an Apple commercial started playing--with "Heart and Soul" in the background. I like to believe that my grandmother was with me, and with my grandfather, at that moment.

We all shared experiences in class that made us think that there was something more to them--which honestly, as Emily M. mentioned, is encouraging. Not all people are religious, and there's no reason they have to be--but it's nice to know that we as humans, at least for the most part, are a tad on the spiritual side when it comes to these things (and if there's anything I've learned at Wheaton, it's that spirituality and religion do not necessarily have to mean the same thing). Though there is a need for us to explain things away, or to understand things with science, perhaps there are certain things we aren't meant to understand. This class really opened my eyes to the fact that there's a lot we don't know about the human body and how it orients itself with the surrounding world--and often we use religion to relate ourselves to our own bodies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post