On april 24th i got to go visit the buddhist temple in Raynham Ma, and it was quite an experience to say the least. My first impression of the place was that it was absolutely massive, and a lot more flashy than I would have expected from a buddhist temple.  However as I learned it was made in honor of king Rama the 9th and is the largest buddhist temple outside of Thailand.

The most interesting part of the experience for me is when we given blessings from the head monk their at the temple. The blessings we got were done with chanting and by splashing us with water.  This was a very unique experience for me first of all because just being hit with the water when my eyes were closed gave me an incredibly vibrant feeling that i cont quite explain. But it truly felt cleansing. I have felt similar experiencing when getting puja in india. I find it very interesting how cleansing water can be, obviously when we use it to clean ourselves. But Mostly in ritual, it really does seem to have a powerful effect, and it is used in almost every religion.

The second thing I experienced was the chanting done by the monks. Ive never actually gotten to experience that first hand, but it really was as profound as it's been described. The amount of vibration that is heard and really felt is really out of this world. It's really unbelievable what sound can do when you can start to FEEL the reverberations in your body. When you close your eyes it really does give you an out of body experience, almost like the vibrations are taking your body somewhere else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post