Enhanced senses

I’ve always been told throughout my life that those who lose one of their senses typically gain strength in each of their remaining senses.  After reading this chapter on smell, I became particularly fascinated by Helen Keller and her sense of smell.  Since she was unable to see and hear, her remaining three senses, especially scent, became exceptionally stronger.  In the book, Helen Keller stated, “The sense of smell has told me of a coming storm hours before there was any sign of it visible.  I notice first a throb of expectancy, a slight quiver, a concentration in my nostrils.  As the storm draws near my nostrils dilate, the better to receive the flood of earth odors which seem to multiply and extend, until I feel the splash of rain against my cheek.”
It is hard to imagine anyone with this particular ability and mastery of a specific sense.  Interestingly enough, she was able to somehow adapt to her lost senses by reinforcing her others.  We don’t realize it often as humans, but scents have a large impact on our reality.  Pheromones are chemicals secreted when we sweat and can be smelt by individuals subconsciously.  In more obvious cases, when we smell foods that are appealing to us our brain craves it which can impact our experiences.  Although our sense of smell is strong and can detect many, many scents, there are many animals and organisms that use their sense of smell for very serious biological purposes.  Some use their abilities to seek predators in the area while others, like Helen, are able to detect storms and natural disasters that haven’t even occurred yet.  Below is an article describing how specific animals sense danger.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post