Nature as the 6th Sense


In David Abram's The Spell of the Sensuous he defines magic, or the 6th sense as human being's ability to connect with nature by shifting their consciousness. Abrams suggests that the ecological dimension of experience is often overlooked and labeled as "superhuman" experiences by Western researchers. He claims that what might appear "superhuman" is actually the very authentic connection that human beings can cultivate with nature. Therefore the mysteries of nature can be explored by people who let their consciousness move more freely beyond the boundaries of society and out into the natural world. Abram explains that indigenous cultures often have shamans, healers, or magicians who live on the edge of the village. The reason for this is that these individuals have chosen to function as the bridge between human society and the forces of nature. He writes that what defines a shaman is "the ability to readily slip out of the perceptual boundaries that demarcate his or her particular culture- boundaries reinforced by social customs, taboos, and most importantly, the common speech of language- in order to make contact with, and learn from, the other powers in the land" (9).


I love the definition of the 6th sense as the perception of hidden powers in nature by slipping into a different level consciousness. I have often experienced new ways of perceiving the world around me by letting go of my preconceived ideas and ways of being. When I let go of my ideas I become more sensitive to the world around me. In this way I feel I may have experienced the 6th sense when I opened myself to the possibilities of new perceptual sensitivity. It is an opening of the heart, a vulnerability to listen in a deeper sense than simply through your ears. When I am outside, take of my shoes and consciously bring my attention to connecting with the earth I become much more vulnerable to the energetic realm of experience. It could be seen as wishy washy or emotional to describe perception in this way but I have felt it and that is proof enough for me. I have also found that when I connect more to my 6th sense my other senses become more alert in new ways. For example whenever I connect to the earth I almost always notice a large bird flying overhead or perched somewhere where I can see it or hear its call. I take these as small signs. Maybe they are simply coincidences but to me there are small confirmations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post