The Sixth Sense- and Cheesecake?

I have been craving cheesecake for the past week. Its been a constant in this crazy preparation for finals, always in the back of my mind, distracting me from my work. Its become a recognized thing, because its all I have been talking about. The general sentiment is something along the lines of  "Elise, you need to shut up about cheesecake", but its an important feeling at this time, so I will not just leave it alone.

Anyways, yesterday, I drove some of my stuff home so the moving out process would be more manageable on Saturday. I requested a home cooked meal, but did not specify what food I wanted. The whole family is home, and we all sit down and enjoy a nice dinner and conversation before I head back to Wheaton. As the meal commences, my mother stands up and says she has made something for dessert. Out of nowhere, she whips out a homemade cheesecake, and I lose my mind. "Mom, you don't understand what you have just presented me with. I literally  have been talking about nothing but cheesecake for the past week, and you just appear and hand one to me. How did you know?" She claims that she had not made one for a while, and just felt like cheesecake, but I am convinced she has wizard powers that she has not been telling me about.

But in all honesty, how did she know? Was it some strange mother child connection that told her that what I needed in that moment was cheesecake? I often find that my mom and I are unspokenly on the same page, and we have always had a very close relationship. But the fact was that she made a conscious decision to make cheesecake: she bought the ingredients, woke up early to make it so it could refrigerate all day. And this conscious decision was exactly the choice I wanted from her. I honestly think this cheesecake was an instance of a sixth sense acting on our relationship. And its so strange how the universe can organize these coincidences and linked events. But, I think that the strangest part is that we can see the connections between these seemingly isolated incidences. In The Spell of the Sensuous, David Abram discusses perception as a presentation of things as vectors which we can mold and be influenced by, and that is a useful framework for understanding these connected events. I perceived this connection, and I was molded and influenced by how I interpreted it. And sometimes these connected events involve cheesecake. How's that for a universal truth?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post