Experiencing Darsan

Earlier in the semester I got to go to the sri lakshmi temple with professor Timm. This was the first time I had been to a hindu temple in a more formal setting. When I was younger I went to a few when  I was in india, but i did not look at them very closely, and actually found them very boring at the time. Now that i am studying religion, and understand Hinduism more the experience was much deeper.
the most interesting thing to me is looking at the gods in the temple once you observe your mind of the duality between you and any particular god. When you look at the gods with an understanding that they are not really different or separate from you in any way their image hits you in a much more profound way. I was specifically drawn to Ganesh, as I think many people are. To witness him, and have him witness you really does give you a sense of empowerment, after being to the temple I felt much more able to overcome some of the stresses in my days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post