High school memory


I’d like to share a life changing experience that I remember so vividly because of my senses. I am lucky enough that someone was able to catch the moment on camera. This dates back to my senior year of high school on November 11th, 2011. This was the championship game of the Southeastern New England Independent School Soccer Association. It was my last year of high school and my school, The Wheeler School in Providence, RI hadn’t won a league championship in men’s soccer in 20 years. This was the day we brought championship glory back to Wheeler. The way it unfolded was what I’ll truly never forget.

My best friend Telvin Lopes was my partner in crime in high school soccer. We played side by side in the center midfield our senior year. We had come close to winning a league championship in prior years but never were able to get the job done. Being our last year, and many people saying we changed Wheeler soccer for years to come, we really had no trophies to show for all of our hard work. We were the number one seed going into the tournament and we were given the right to host. We faced off against Hyde School in the championship game. After a competitive back and fourth scoreless first half, just minutes into the second half my buddy Telvin scored the first goal of the game. I was excited that if we were to hold the lead, we would have won the game off of a goal from my partner in crime. Their team pressed the field in desperation knowing that if they didn’t score, they would lose. With just minutes left in the game we had a counter attack possession that lead me to a 1v1 break away against their goalkeeper (who ironically was Graham Davidson’s brother). The pressure was on and i could certainly feel that an insurance goal would end the game and crown us champions.


Ill let you guess what happened next. All I’ll tell you is that after the play, I had never heard such an electrifying reaction from a crowd in my life. I remember specifically running over to the fans screaming and looking for our best friend Kyle Verma to celebrate with him as a thanks for all of his support. We ran over to the fans and celebrated as a community. Our friend Kyle (who also attends Wheaton now) jumped over the fence and ran onto the field to celebrate with the team. This wasn’t allowed but it made for a moment that I will never forget.

Comments

  1. So...how does this connect to what we have been doing, reading, and learning in class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to share a moment that I can recall/remember so vividly because of my senses. More specifically it relates to our class because the sensory brain regions also serve to house emotional memories. So that explains the reason that I can play back these certain images and sounds so easily.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post