Campfires: The Ultimate Sensuous Experience



As I wrap up the final assignments for Smells and Bells, I was trying to think of a way that my last blog post could culminate all I've learned. So I decided to try and think of my favorite event that incorporates all of the senses- and I came up with one! A campfire. When I tried to put together all my favorite tastes, smells, sounds, textures, and sights (and even some elements of 6th senses) it all wrapped up into one easy package. 

A campfire plays with all the senses, and that's why I believe they are so popular (I personally have never met anyone who hates a bonfire). Everything "traditional" that's meant to happen at this event is connected to one of the senses: s'mores (taste), signing, playing the guitar (hearing), star gazing, watching the fire flicker (sight), feeling the warmth of the fire on your body (touch), the scent that stays on your clothes for days afterwards (smell) and even the tradition of ghost stories and myths enchants our 6th sense. 

While I've learned throughout the semester how various religions use the senses in rituals, I have also learned that secular events employ similar rules. Successful events in any capacity must excite all the senses, because that's what people like! (Whether they are conscious about it or not).

So with summer approaching, campfire season is right around the corner. And next time I find myself at one I'll be thinking about why I enjoy it- and I think it'll have a lot to do with smells and bells. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post