Touch, Pain, and Communication. Exploration of Ariel Glucklich's Work.

Ariel Glucklich discusses how pain is experienced, registered, and communicated with our own bodies and each other in her work "Sacred Pain and the Phenomenal Self". Essentially, the author provides many explanations as to how pain is felt and perceived, and how emotional/mental pain can be just as valid, painful, and difficult to handle as physical pain. This is because of the wiring in our bodies that registers emotional pain and manifests these traumas as sometimes psychological experiences; even in the absence of sensory input (deprivation tanks). 

I especially was interested in the "Pain and Communication" section; "The symbolic and experiential efficacy of pain derives from the way it bridges "raw" sensation with the highest qualities of human beings in a community of other human beings". This section stood out to me because communication is one of the most effective methods in coping with pain. At least in my personal experience, when I have trouble communicating about my ailments, I often notice that I feel even worse to keep them festering inside of me. 

I think now is the time to realize how important it is that we communicate with each other despite the physical and social distancing occurring right now. Many of us feel isolated, alone, and more depressed than before. Not only are many of us lacking physical contact with their loved ones, but we also are lacking conversations with these same people that help us carry all of our stresses and share in our successes. Gluckilich writes, "As I have indicated, pain is not only a universal human phenomenon, but it is also eminently communicable, sometimes in profound and nonverbal ways". As for these nonverbal ways; many of us feel reassured when we are hugged, patted on the shoulder, or when our hands are held by another. 

Personally speaking, once again, I am not one of these people who feels physically deprived of touch because this sense is the least important to me. I am lucky to not have the lack of physical contact to add further weight to my shoulders. That being said, I do miss being able to communicate face to face with my friends and professors, and I do feel some form of an emotional toll because of this. As cliche as it is- you really don't realize what you have until it's gone. I never liked being touched, but once the option is completely gone, I do miss the occasional physical interactions I once had. At the end of the day, all we can do is try our best to communicate through screens and hope that is good enough for now.



Comments

  1. Very moving and perceptive post. Striking how pain doesn't even need proximity to be shared. I did a remote funeral for a former student's father two weeks ago, which we planned on Zoom, and which was Zoomed from the graveside in Sharon, MA to his family. I didn't even have to be seeing them from afar to feel at least some of their pain.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post