religion and faith

Touch can prove a way to connect people and things to each other as well as evoke many different emotions. Religion can provide the same experiences for many. Constance Classen’s “The Deepest Sense : A Cultural History of Touch” goes into detail of how touch can mean so many different things for people. She writes on how important the sense is for interacting with one’s surroundings, this is because without the sense of touch there is a level of disconnect between one and the physical world.


 
Classen’s ideas made me think about how many people including myself don’t believe in any religion or faith, because they can’t physically touch a god or deity. For myself if I can’t see or touch or have tangible proof of something, especially religion, it is hard to believe that its real. So, I fully acknowledge the irony in the fact that I don’t believe in religion yet I’m a religion major. This may be the case because I want to see how other people can believe despite my not believing. 

Comments

  1. I rely on touch and words to let people I love know that I love them, but apparently it's been proven that since atoms never touch, we really have actually never touched anything in our lives. Which I find ridiculous and strange and tough to comprehend, but sometimes we can't help but be skeptical of things we don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The New Testament runs with this idea that you need to touch something to believe in the story of Doubting Thomas, the disciple of Jesus who didn't believe in Jesus' resurrection from the dead until he touched him, John 20:24-29, and when the resurrected Jesus appeared to the disciples in Luke 24:27-29.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post