Working in the Kitchen

When it comes to cooking in the kitchen, there can often be gender roles. In the Rielly household, we usually all cook our own breakfast and lunch, but for supper, we usually always share the same meal. In my house, there are no gender roles. If you use a plate, put it in the dishwasher. If you cook, clean up the mess. Just because I am a woman does not mean I was born to be in the kitchen. Degrading stereotypes aside, you really don’t want me cooking anyways. I once burned a pan when making a grilled cheese because I left the stovetop on after I was done. However, I like to think I have redeemed myself with my years of baking. My dad does most of the cooking because he likes it. We joke that when my mom makes a meal for the family she has done her cooking for the month. 

Chefs working on their creations
©
When reading Elizabeth Perez’s Religion in the Kitchen: Cooking, Talking, and the Making of Black Atlantic Traditions, I kept noticing how important it was to them that women were in the kitchen. I was hoping that it was not based on sexist stereotypes that a woman should be cooking for men who do all of the “masculine” work. However, I noticed that these women do not see it as a burden or that they are forced to be there, but that they genuinely enjoy it. Perez writes, “for some, as we saw, it was a badge of pride worn by ‘real women.’”(Perez 111)  Although I don’t agree that there should be a ‘real woman’ category, to begin with, I was glad that they were proud of what they were making. They were proud of the flavors they were creating. They wanted people to enjoy what they were cooking and to feast on it. It’s almost as if feeding other people’s taste buds was their hunger. 


Bread we made in JBK's class in the Fall 2019 Semester 
Eating and serving is a way of communication for many people. When we make something that is good that our tastebuds find pleasing because “some foods may stimulate endorphins” (Ackerman 150) it also pleases us that we are pleasing others. I know that when I make a pie for Thanksgiving or the blueberry bread I made just this Easter, it satisfied me that when people tasted it, they were satisfied. Maybe that’s a reason why these women like to belong in the kitchen. It gives them a role that they are proud of and happy when they make those they love happy through their tastebuds. 

Comments

  1. I really liked when you touched on the male female relation in the kitchen. Something interesting to note that cooking shows about how to prepare things are mostly done by women while cooking competion are usually held by men. Thought this was something to add to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my house it is exactly the same, if you make the mess, you better be prepared to clean it up! I really enjoyed the points that you made about how they cooked for other peoples taste buds to enjoy. on my dad's side of my family it is very much like that, an older Portuguese woman will make more food than the family could eat for two meals and then make sure that everyone liked it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your last sentences of the post, "Maybe that’s a reason why these women like to belong in the kitchen. It gives them a role that they are proud of and happy when they make those they love happy through their tastebuds.". It was a nice thought to end on. I would love to try that blueberry bread sometime because wow that sounds really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you address the socially constructed gender roles of the kitchen. When I was younger, my mom used to tell me that I won't be able to find a husband if I don't know how to cook. I think her upbringing in Japan, a male dominated country has made her believe that women are meant to cook for their husbands and their children. Her beliefs have changed since then. What I like about cooking (and eating) is that anyone can do it! Society should not be the one deciding who belongs in the kitchen and who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post