The World of Touch in the Animal Kingdom

 “Animal Skins”, chapter five of Constance Classen’s book, The Deepest Sense: A Cultural History of Touch  really resonates with me because I’m currently taking Barbara Darling’s Religion and Animals course. In addition to visual, auditory, and chemical methods of communication, tactile communication is “the common medium of communication for all inhabitants of the Earth” (69). Human beings shake hands, hug, or kiss as a sign of respect or endearment- the same can be applied for non-human animals. Elephants will intertwine their trunks to show acceptance and affection, cats will lick and nuzzle their young, sea otters will rub their nose and faces on each other to establish social bonds, etc. Animals will communicate with animals outside their species through touch. My cat will know when I’m feeling down, and he will nuzzle up against me and provide me with a sense of reassurance. When my dog was extremely sick, my sisters and I would take turns petting him as a way of comforting him through the pain he was experiencing. Touch is more than just the simple act of coming into contact with something- it heals, creates bonds, a medium for conveying messages, etc. 

Another quote that caught my eye in Classen’s text is “It was through their hands that humans were able to transform the world around them, whereas “handless” animals, it was believed, must live with the world more or less as they found it” (104). Here, Classen talks about how animals are perceived in the Christian world, which is a religion that is oftentimes viewed as being anthropocentric. I think it’s interesting that there’s a negative tone at the mention of animals not being able to transform the world as a result of having paws/hooves when human hands are the ones destroying it. 

Comments

  1. Great connections and observations, especially your last one about paws/hooves vs.hands!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post