Is Yarn Really that Soft?

When I was in like 3rd grade my grandmother taught me to knit. I worked on a few projects for like a year, then life happened and I didn't do it for at least 10 years. Then when I was at Wheaton minding my own business my friend texted me that she needed a treasurer for this club she was the president of and would I please help her out. I said sure why not, and suddenly I was the treasurer of the knitting club but I had not knitted in a decade.

This is me holding this insanely large ball of super soft yarn.
*Picture from @craftwheaton on Instagram*
Over the next few weeks, I relearned how to knit and started working on a few projects. (My first one was a MAJOR fail) After a while, I knew the basics and on Sunday nights in the Lyons Den (where we met) I was able to knit while enjoying a milkshake. That was 3 years ago. Since then we have rebranded our club to be the CRAFT club. (Create, Relax, and Familiarize with Textiles)

Why am I telling you about this? Well, when I was reading "The Deepest Sense: A Cultural Texture" by Constance Classen I came across the chapter "Crafty Ladies". In that chapter, they talk about the ladies work, including all the different things we do in CRAFT club like knitting and embroidery. (yes boys come to the club because crafting is not only for ladies)

Working on a headband in the Lyons Den. 

One of these crafts I was really thinking about in relation to touch is knitting. If you have never knitted before you might think "oh that's so nice touching the soft yarn!" but honestly it can be painful at times! First, you have to hold metal needles that can be sharp, especially if you have a very worn-in pair, and sometimes I would find my fingers with little dimples on them where I would push on the pointy end. Also that super soft yarn? Yeah, it can burn sometimes when you have yarn wrapped around your fingers constantly sliding around. (similar to rug burn)  The yarn is not always as soft when you are knitting with it as it is in the final product. I will say though, the accomplished feeling after a project is done is so fun.


Comments

  1. As someone who crochets, I totally understand the burn of yarn on your fingers and across your legs when you are pulling the string. I think it is so interesting that the overall product, like a blanket or scarf, can be extremely soft, but the process (pulling the yarn, doing the needlework) can hurt! (Also love the color of the headband you were/are working on!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Im glad you can relate (not happy it hurts though!) and Lavender is my favorite color!

      Delete
  2. I love your story about your grandmother teaching you to knit. My grandmother also taught me to knit when I was young and I also didn't actually pick up the hobby until much later on. I can definitely relate to that rug burn feeling and the pain of the metal needles!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post