Painting Pictures: The Power of Music

“Musical tones mean something only in relation to one another, when they're teamed up” (205).

When listening to one speak, what is heard is uniform, but the meaning of what is heard differs between individuals. This statement remains true when it applies to music. Everyone’s musical palettes differ, some may have a more diverse palette with a broader range of interests, while others invest more time into a more specific genre.

There is a common saying known as “a picture paints a thousand words,” similarly, a song paints not only pictures but tells a story. Growing up learning piano taught me that music is a story in itself. The notes of each measure serve to tell a small part of the whole story. 

Laura Bonds; lines are chaotic. There is no pattern. The lines ...Artworks Peaceful Countryside Landscape Pastoral Prints Canvas ...To me, one piece that progresses to be one of the greatest stories is Ballade no. 1 in G minor, composed by Frederic Chopin. I have attached the link of this piece at the end of this post if anyone was interested in listening to it. The reason I wanted to focus on this piece specifically is because of how each transition between phrases is seamless, it changes the mood of the piece as a whole and instantly changes one’s emotions. If you listen closely, you can notice how the tempo fluctuates with the melody. At slower parts, the melody may seem a little more major and peaceful, painting a scene of birds chirping and everlasting bliss. Other times, some parts have a faster tempo, sounding more disorganized and unrestrained, thus painting a scene of chaos.

These are just my interpretations, yet you can view all these different parts however you may hear them. This ultimate conclusion is the great part about music, it isn’t all the same for everyone.



Comments

  1. Watching this video reminded me of when I was younger I used to play cello and during the concerts one of my friends had a piano solo and as I watched him play I started to cry (no joke). I had never heard the piece before and of course it was beautiful, but combined with the way he played/performed the piece and the emotions he felt it was conveyed to me so strongly. Watching this reminded me of that and just proves how powerful a role the sense have on your emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get where you are coming from. A lot of times when my friends are performing, I get goosebumps going down my arm for no reason. It's strange to see how powerful music can really be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who used to perform a lot of wind ensemble music, I totally get how music can create pictures. Sitting and watching my friends perform, I would often always get a photo in my head or a memory that would spark. I once had a director that used to make us listen to the piece 4-5 times all together before we ever picked up our instruments. He would have us say what colors we thought of and what it made us feel and what emotions/feelings/memories that it sparked up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post