Sharing the Performance

In Rasmussen's book Rethinking Women, Music, and Islam, she explores the idea how Islam is incredibly eclectic and multifaceted, especially its music. There is no “standard” music… it can include anything from chantings and recitations to gatherings where people sing together. Rasmussen recounts an experience in Indonesia where she was able to spend a lot of time with people because they all shared a passion for music. Even though she didn’t know the words or instruments used, they were all able to enjoy themselves because they were “sharing a performance” with one another. This makes a ton of sense to me. One time I had to go with my sister to a Harry Styles concert in Manhattan. I initially I did not want to go at all, but was talked into it because I figured could get a nice dinner somewhere in the city. At the concert, we were up in the nosebleeds and to be honest, I only knew one of his songs. His music wasn’t really for me, but about fifteen minutes in I began to have a lot of fun. The energy was infectious and I’m sure that I wasn’t the only older brother or dad that was dragged to the concert who was also having fun. It was also so cool seeing my sister get to see her idol live. I had never seen her more ecstatic. I think back to what Rasmussen said about “sharing a performance” with others and how even though I was not familiar with the music or artist, I was still able to have fun because my sister (and thousands of others) were having fun.

Comments

  1. There is definitely something about "sharing a live performance" that is a much more heightened and even more fulfilling than just hearing or seeing a recording a performance. The shared energy, even something as technical as the sound amplification (which Rasmussen mentions, too) typical of concerts feels so tangible, and of course, as you say, seeing others get into it makes it more powerful, too. Sensing that Something More of sharing performances becomes especially acute in in its absence in these times of virtual Zoom meetings. And yet, there have been times when I've felt the power of sharing a performance even on Zoom, like at our Passover seder this year, or when I see the mixes of people singing and performing together even though they're in different places. Like this performance of "What the World Needs Now" out out by the Berklee School of Music in Boston: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QagzdvzzHBQ&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the point you bring up about the power of music in unifying people! I'm glad that you were able enjoy the harry styles concert with our sister despite getting dragged into and have it be a memorable experience for the two of you to look back on. I remember the time when I was at a beach in Florida and my friend and I walked in on a large circle of people singing, dancing, and playing various musical instruments. We had no idea what the occasion was, but we joined in. I remember feeling a sense of togetherness with everyone in the circle even though I had no idea who they were and also being in a euphoric mood afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post