Colour My World

When we're in preschool or kindergarten we all learn what colors are and what their names are. We might have been shown flashcards with the colors on them or learned to associate colors with specific objects like how an apple is red and how grass is green. Growing up we are meant to assume that the color we see is the color that everyone sees, but how can we know? How can we know that my green isn't your blue and someone else's red? We agree on what colors are based on what we're taught not knowing if this is anything close to what others are seeing. Supposedly we don't all see colors exactly the same (Ackerman, 252), but it's not as if what we see is wildly different from what others see. We see colors in different shades and at different levels of vibrancy.

What I found really interesting from what Ackerman said about color is that "emotions and memories we associate with certain colors also stain the world we see" (253). After she makes this statement she doesn't elaborate, but the statement itself seemed vague and with no context before or after it. I thought about how colors affect our emotions and how we tend to associate different emotions with colors like blue may be sad or calm like rain or a still body of water and red is fiery anger or passion. The way I read what Ackerman had said was that when feeling certain emotions, like love, we may see the world as if there is a translucent pink screen (rose-tinted glasses) in front of our eyes. This would work similarly for other emotions and colors as well.





Similar to objects, memories, and emotions, people emanate their own colors as well. I've always been very intuitive when it comes to people. I consider myself an empath. I find a first impression really important because I can usually tell if like a person from the first few minutes of interacting with them. This is because I can read energy really well and I also see color auras based on that energy. I know myself and I know the type of energy I vibe with best and from this first interaction, I can usually tell whether or not I feel like I can trust a person and I can get a general sense of their overall personality. This is something that I feel but I am not sure if others experience this as well. I'm genuinely curious if others read people this way and associate colors with them and how much of an impact it has on the way they see and socialize with that person. 

Comments

  1. It's really interesting to see different colors express different emotions. For example, my doctors office has light blue walls all around. I noticed this trend among hospitals and other offices as well. The whole point of it is that light blue is a very calming color to look at, imagine having red walls in an office. I'd freak out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true... I've noticed most doctors offices use cool colors like purple or blue like you said. It definitely was meant to give off a feeling of calm to their patients but to me it gives of like a cold and sterile environment... They should do yellow for happy.

      Delete
  2. I love what you wrote about color perception, the connection between color and emotion, and emanation of color!! I know that people suggest not painting your room a certain color for the reason that it could affect your mood. My room growing up was painted a light blue with white clouds and it definitely brought me a sense of calmness. I can also relate to you about being intuitive when it comes to people and reading the energy of that person upon first encounter. However, instead of seeing color auroras, I get a feeling. I think this is the reason why it takes a bit more time for me to open up and feel completely comfortable around people that I initially do not get good vibes from because I don't know if I can fully trust them right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way about opening up to people who give off negative energy. I've had many experiences where I haven't trusted my gut and said oh I'm just being weird but in my experience, my gut has never been wrong.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post