When I think about taste and my personal experience with the sense, the first thing that comes to mind is how long it had been since the last time I had a croqueta. The difference in the food I eat here at Wheaton as opposed to back home in Miami is pretty significant. Food and the sense of taste are two of life's assets that contribute a lot more than just sensory awareness. From personal experience, i know that taste has the ability to contribute to one's identity-- particularly one's social identity. Before Wheaton, I had never had a philly cheesesteak or even heard of chicken and waffles. Back home, a philly cheesesteak isn't a big deal and most people do not know what an order of chicken and waffles is. We are not some alien city that doesn't enjoy philly cheesteaks but, in my opinion, my taste and certain food combinations are driven by the Latino culture in Miami.


Croquetas


Paella
Every country has their own little kick to certain foods. Different spices and techniques are added and used to create unique taste experiences from common vegetables, grains, and dairy. Cubans do this weird thing where they slice several tomatoes up and spread them with mayonnaise. I know it sounds horrifying but it really is refreshing, cool and juicy.  Not to mention, you don't dump the entire can of mayonnaise into the bowl either.



Today, I hold myself back from preparing myself a small bowl of tomatoes regularly, each time I go to Emerson. While I miss a number of foods I eat when I am home like croquetas,  pastelitos,  vaca frita, and paella, I also appreciate the food culture of New England. I think my experiences with the two cuisines are parallel with my experiences with both cultures in that I have enjoyed and have been shaped by the two of them. I hardly hesitate when asked to try some new food because of how good of an experience I had with opening up my pallet and embracing change when I came to Wheaton. I think it has made me more open minded and positive toward change and exploration both in life and in the kitchen.

Vaca Frita

Pastelitos de Guayaba




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post