Maybe Massage isn't for 14 Year Olds

Our lecture on massage reminded me of my first and only experience on the massage table and how unusual it was for me. I was 14, hormonal and not really sure what I was getting myself into. There were candles, I was naked and unprepared but ready for a new experience nonetheless. Until that moment, I hadn't really experienced physical contact in the way one does on a massage table. As the masseuse worked her warm hands over my body, the natural reaction to sensitive touching -- laughter -- consumed me. 'How embarrassing' I thought. I made it through the 60 minute massage, feeling embarrassed but physically relaxed.

I have not had a massage since my glorious first attempt, but I am very interested in giving it another go! I've had time to reflect on my experience and analyze what exactly was so funny 7 years ago. Was I really that ticklish...can I not handle physical contact in that manner? Our guest lecture on massage and reflexology posed a possible answer to these questions. 

A lot of people who receive massage do so because of physical ailments and stress. They let the masseuse relieve them of their physical pain and stress by relaxing their muscles then they leave and come back next week. When I was 14, I had preconceived notions of what a massage should feel like and allowed my head to dictate the massage. It wasn't so much an experience of physical contact, which is why I didn't enjoy it as much as I could've!

Our lecturer introduced the new fad of Journey Dance -- a form of massage intended to get you out of your mind and into your body. The dance is purely individual and is targeted at all of your muscles. I am willing to try Journey Dance because it can enable me to connect with my body and leave my mind to an extent.

Maybe massage isn't for me, or for people who truly struggle to relax their minds. Journey Dance is a good alternative that is intended to move relaxation from the mind to the body. It's also goofy as hell! 

-Stuart MacLean 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post