It Gets Me High

Blog #10

         We are all aware of the things in life that supposedly have the ability to "get us high". Of course we all know how eating can do this, as well as sexual activities and physical exercise (sports, running, etc), and drugs...But what about music? Sometimes, when I am listening to music, especially if there is a song that I know extremely well and appreciate the melody as well as the lyrics, I feel a euphoria that is unlike really anything else. If I had to compare it to something, it would be the feeling I get after I have just gotten a good workout. My entire body gets flooded by a wave of tingling happiness that usually causes me to close my eyes and temporarily just exist in that moment.
       The link of the song posted below is the song that when I am listening to it, can momentarily make me feel as though I have teleported back in time to this past summer when I was in Italy with a lot of family as well as good friends that I love, beautiful weather, amazing food, and just a sequence of days that make you question if heaven really can be found on earth. As humans, as far as I know, we don't have anything can take us back, no time machine, no rewind button that we can hit and playback our favorite memories over and over again. But music, can sometimes do just that, as improbable as it seems, when you hear a song that reminds you of a certain moment, or day, or even entire trip, it can become the theme song of that memory and whenever you hear it, you can get that beautiful euphoria that comes from being able to reminisce and temporarily exist in a moment that was seemingly so perfect.
                                      LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vSf0cA9qY

If I did't shed enough light on how powerful music can be in my above writing, I think what I am about to say will. The link that I posted below this chunk of writing is the song that I 100%  attribute to me getting over someone I really cared about. Something about the way the artist sings, his tone, as well as how each and every carefully selected lyric connects with my own consciousness in such a powerful way, it felt almost as if I had written it myself. The way it registered to me on an emotional level was nothing short of a supernatural experience in my opinion and caused me to get over someone I had been incapable of getting over for around 3 years. Imagine that? A song...one song, did what no person who had tried talking to me or no amount of time that I let lapse could do..it convinced me that my emotions were displaced.  
LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a5WyAjL1MM
Something about the way that the artist compares slowly and painfully getting over someone to slowly being pushed out by waves and the ocean made my emotions take of an abstract form and it was like I could physically see what I was feeling, as if my emotions were tangible things that I could see or touch if I wanted to. I realize that I am talking in a way that probably makes me sound a little crazy, or a little "high", which brings me to my original point. Music for me can create my mind to think and feel in such an abstract way one might say that I get a high from it, a high that allows me to feel and think about things in a way I wouldn't be able to if I didn't hear that specific song. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post