Movement Therapy in the Mainstream


Anyone who has met my dad would be surprised to know that some of his closest friends are women who practice all kinds of movement and touch therapy. His friend Celine is a massage therapist in addition to being certified in reiki. I grew up with her making house calls and giving my family different soaps and products for healing and wellness. His other friend Traca is a yoga instructor and energy healer who works with both of us to strengthen our bodies and spirits. She told me about Kripalu, a yoga and wellness center in Western Massachusetts, and encouraged me to go. And so when Elizabeth Robinson came into class, saying I was excited was an understatement- this was material that I was very familiar with and excited by. I have always been a big supporter of the healing power of massage and reiki, and have hoped to incorporate these more natural remedies into my own practice after college.


Kripalu in the summer


Elizabeth Robinson's passion for JourneyDance surprised me because it was like two of my worlds colliding- the one at Wheaton and the one outside of it. I became familiar with JourneyDance while at Kripalu and loved it immediately. Coming from a dance background, the practice seemed incredibly natural to me. The JourneyDance website defines this practice as a "ritual journey of physical and emotional transformation" that uses "breath, sweat, and expression" to harness your own energy and power. It came to me at a crossroads in my life in which I was wondering how I was going to dance after Wheaton and where my career path would ultimately lead. My initial experience and Elizabeth Robinson's lecture put the idea of dance and movement therapy back into my mind. Learning about the importance of touch and its ties to connection reminded me of how critical touch is in our ability to thrive. JourneyDance, and other movement therapies in general, allow us to connect to ourselves and the world around us. Incorporating both this and massage into her life, Elizabeth Robinson is a person who not only directly connects to others through healing touch, but also gives them the means to make more connections and strengthen them, which is the cornerstone to our own well being.

Noon dance at Kripalu- an experience open to everyone

I am so thankful that my life experiences prior to Wheaton left me with an open mind and an appreciation for the healing arts that others sometimes dismiss as lesser than typical prescribed medicine and therapy. While in some cases those treatments may be necessary, I feel that it is just as important to get in touch with ourselves and our senses- to go back to basics. Often, a great dance class or yoga flow has done more for my headspace than any other more "traditional" remedy would have. Our senses can help us heal if we only let go and allow them to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post