Class Outside of Class

We all have times when we don't feel like ourselves. I think a lot of seniors are feeling this way right now- anxious, confused, stressed, emotional- the list goes on. Yesterday I woke up feeling strange, almost disconnected from my surroundings. In this weird transitory time, I wasn't surprised, but I was unsure of how to shake this feeling and come back into my body. At lunch, my roommate and I grabbed one of the desserts from the dining hall because it looked appealing. However, upon smelling it and savoring its taste, we came to the conclusion that (like many foods here) it did not taste at all like what it was meant to be. That's when it hit me- focusing on the sensory experience of trying a bite of the dessert brought me back into my body. My mind came down from the cloud that it was on and I felt more in tune with myself. I knew what to do from there.

Some people use religion as their primary means of reconnecting with themselves, while at the same time experiencing a connection with something greater than them. I was not raised with a particular religion; I attended various church services throughout my childhood but it was mainly for holiday celebrations. I thus never learned to find myself that way. One thing that has always helped me do that, though, is nature. Growing up in Maine, I spent my childhood running through the woods with my friends and jumping up over ocean waves. Being in nature helps me feel whole and alive. And so, yesterday being a particularly nice day weather-wise, my roommate and I set off for the woods.

 


I took care not to bring my phone or any distractions, remembering what we had talked about in class in regards to having headphones in on a walk. Within no time I found myself listening to the calls of the birds, feeling the breeze against my face and hair, smelling the earth thawing. I too, began to thaw. I felt as rooted as the trees surrounding me. This class in mind, I tried to focus on each sense, giving my full attention to each one in turn and noting my experience with it. I was reminded of Diane Ackerman's book when I focused on the scents around me. As soon as the earthy smells hit my nose, I was brought back in time to playing outside as a child on the first nice spring days of the season. I ran my hands along different trees and leaves, hung from branches, felt the crunch of snow and dead leaves beneath my feet. The sound of the trees swaying in the wind and the birds calling to each other sounded like music. Afterwards, I scoured youtube to see if such music existed, and there were hosts of videos combining sounds of nature with soft instrumental music, mostly for meditation. It was interesting to note that a few referenced specific religions- one playlist was called Christian meditation although there didn't seem to be a reason for it.

(The above video is literally 8 hours long- but give it a listen when you're doing homework or going to sleep. See if you find it calming.)


It was amazing how this experience was just what I needed. It acted a reset to my system. I essentially came back into my body. Paying attention to each sense in turn helped me connect with myself and my surroundings, to focus on the here and now. It might not have been a "religious" experience by definition, but it was certainly spiritual. 

Comments

  1. I think this kind of experience is so important. So often as students we get stuck in the cerebral and we are not able to get back into ourselves. It was like what the guest lecturer (masseur) was talking. She is always trying to bring herself into certain part of her body and to get out of her head. Sometimes I think we we wish this were an easy thing to do and that it would happen naturally, but as you noticed on your walk, it took your focus and all of your sense to bring you back into yourself. What an experience!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post