What Happens When response

Last Friday I went to see the the play What Happens When. What was interesting about this play was the incorporation of technology in the performance. There were two large screens which would display text messages between actors and also show videos during the performance. This was a good way to get the audience to connect with the show. It also showed how serious technology is in our society. The text message scene is what stood out to me  the most in the play to show the audience the conversation between the male and female actor.
While I did not agree with every aspect of the play and at  times felt it was a little one sided or unrealistic (college hearing board scene). I do believe that the performance brought a new point of view to homophobia, sexual assault, and other situations that happen far to often on college campuses across the nation. The performance did a great job of bringing light to the victims of sexual violence. Overall I enjoyed the performance and would have recommended many Wheaton students to attend.

Comments

  1. I agree. I thought the incorporation of technology allowed for the performance to become less of a show and more of an interpretation of reality. Those tweets and social media postings were real and I think it was important to incorporate reality into such a evocative show. I also think that the show was sometimes one-sided but I think the media provided some important diversity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post