Tchami, Music, and the Sense of Hearing

Hearing is often times considered the most important sense because it allows us to communicate with each other by hearing sounds and interpreting speech. To me, hearing is the most important sense because of my passion for music. One of my main hobbies is listening to music and avidly going to concerts to listen to my favorite Djs mix music live. I’ve been to a lot of concerts and have seen many renowned Djs/producers from around the world.

My favorite DJ/producer is Martin Bresso from Paris, Francee who goes by the name of Tchami. He ironically wears priest attire when he Djs, which is of not much religious relevance to this post but explains his clothing in the attached photo. For years, Matisse and I have consistently followed Tchami’s work and were lucky enough to see him live at Webster Hall in New York City on his rare visit to the east coast. Above is a photo of Tchami Djing in his priest attire. Below that is a photo that I took myself of Tchami at Webster Hall. Along with this post is a video I recorded of Tchami featuring our very own Matisse Baumann dancing to the praised sounds he creates.  


This kind of house music, more popularly known as electronic dance music, brings so much joy to my life. It is difficult to hear these sounds without moving my body to the rhythm of the beat. In this Smells and Bells course we have discussed senses in relation to others. I’d like to mention the sense of hearing in relation to the sense of touch.  Hearing and listening to music makes me feel a certain way. It brings a special kind of joy to me that nothing else can bring to me in that exact way. In fact, its actually has motivated me to become a DJ myself, which is an activity that requires a very keen set of hearing to match beats per minute of each song for example, or identify what vocals sound good over certain instrumentals. Using headphones so much and playing the music at a high volume has probably damaged my hearing to an extent over time. However, as long as I have my sense of hearing I’ll continue to do what I love to do.  




Comments

  1. On the contrary, I think it's very relevant that Tchami wears priest attire. It suggests that he wants to communicate that somehow what he's doing is a sacred act. You don't wear a priest collar unintentionally! It's as if to say the electronic dance music he "serves" is a kind of secular communion or sharing of "the gospel." I don't know it that's exactly his intention, but I can guess that I'm not the only one who interprets his clerical collarthat way. Tchami talks about in an interview here: http://marqueeny.tumblr.com/post/93903075266/5qs-with-tchami-marquee-new-york-fri-aug-8th

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post