Receiving Darsan

On Friday I went to a hindu temple about 45 minutes away from the school. On the way there I started to get nervous. I was about to be seen by Sri Lakshmi (the goddess of good fortune). When I got to the temple we had to take off our shoes and wash our hands. I walked into the main chamber and was immediately taken aback by the number of gods and goddesses present. All of them had their own chamber that was decorated to their liking. I immediately recognized Shiva and upon later inspection found Krishna. I personally love Krishna very much and took a moment to pray to him.
 The first thing that the priest did for Sri Lakshmi was offer her incense and sing a beautiful Sanskrit song to her. The priest brought around the Kum Kum and all present said their first name and the names of relatives that should also be blessed. Then it was time for Lakshmi's bath. She was bathed in water first, then milk and a third bath of turmeric water. Her third eye was covered in a Kum Kum paste and then she needed to be dressed. The dressing process took about one hour and we were not aloud to see. We got a fruit offering from the goddess to eat. While we were snacking we all patiently awaited her reveal and for the opportunity to receive Darsan. I reflected on the first half of the ritual I was just apart of. It used literally all 5 sences. I was overwhelmed and so curious, everything was so different then anything I've ever witnessed before. When the curtain was drawn back it was a beautiful sight. Lakshmi looked as thought she was standing up, she had on a beautiful yellow dress, a gold cap on her head and multiple flower garlands. She was looking directly at us while we were looking at her. Just that concept alone gave me chills.  Her presence in the room felt much grander and charged compared to before. I couldn't look away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post