Taste

Taste
              I Have always thought that taste was an overrated sense. We, as humans take it for granted. We never really think about it too much. I mean we are always saying how good something tastes, but we never appreciate it as much as we should. It wasn’t until I read Making Sense of taste by Carolyn Korsmeyer, that I realized I was not alone. She mentions that philosophers like Plato and Aristotle would rank the senses and would put taste almost always at he bottom. The reason being that, unlike sight and hearing, in order to activate the sense, one must touch something with the sense organ. This is a reasonable case but I believe that there is a lot more value to taste than most people know.

              If it weren’t for taste we would not be able to control what we eat, and even sometimes, know or understand what we eat. After years of evolving into the perfect humans we are, one can only think that our ancestors had to go through a lot of tasting before it got to me hating cilantro. I can only thank them for allowing my body to reject such a harmful plant. But, in all seriousness, everyone should just be a little more appreciative of our taste sense since it’s the only thing allowing us to say “OO that hit the spot” after coming out of the Cheese Cake Factory.

Comments

  1. Yes taste is so helpful. Back when we needed our taste to be able to distinguish food from poison. Nowadays we only use taste to enjoy delicious meals, like the Cheese Cake Factory. Interesting how taste can not only help with detecting poison, but also in helping us fulfill cravings that tell us what our bodies need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post