House of Larva




In class, we had members from the group House of Larva come in and speak about the drag performances they put on. They showed us some clips from previous shows, and told us that there would be a show that night, along with a workshop the following day. Although the performance was incredible, I enjoyed the workshop the most. Only a few people attended, so it was more intimate and made the experience a lot more personal.

The workshop constantly made me conscious of myself, my life, and my body. We did exercises that made us apply how we interpreted the gender roles to be in our society. One of my favorite exercises were when we were told to touch certain parts of our bodies like our tailbones and hip joints. This exercise was the most engaging because it made people interact with themselves and become more conscious of their bodies. We then sat certain ways on the floor so that we could feel these parts of our bodies, and moved around the room so we could feel them move as well.

Later we did exercises that involved thinking about our life experiences at different ages. We then chose movements that could correlate to these moments in our lives. I thought it was interesting how doing all these actions and simply bringing attention to certain parts of our bodies can make us so much more introspective. I enjoyed how the more engaged I felt in my body and the parts of it that don't think about routinely, the more mentally stimulated and engaged I started feeling as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post