Whole Body Sound

Sound lets us travels to other places and times, while remaining physically present. There are certain songs that I hear and immediately transport me to a place or a past memory. Music takes over us, it flows deep within us, starting with the rhythmic beats of our hearts. When we connect to a song and let it enter our soul, the song becomes us. I have a distinct memory of a James Taylor song called sweet baby James that immediately makes me think of my parents. It fills my whole body with joy, and I feel like my parents are right there listing to the song with me. Whenever I hear Joni Mitchells California I can feel the windy roads of northern California and my whole family crammed into one car. Music allows for magic to happen. and has the ability to transcend time and places.


https://www.pinterest.com/jstregles/birds-and-eggs/?autologin=true
Music is not the only sound that effects people. There is so much sound in nature that people feel connected to. For example, hearing ocean waves hitting the side of a sailboat and the sound of seagulls overhead takes me home.  Common noises people love is the way the wind hits a fully bloomed tree in the summer or the arrival of birds in the spring time. Sound is not only through the ears; it can engulf our whole bodies. We play music at high volumes because not only is it fun, but we want to feel the song in the most literal sense. When sound is thought to be just about hearing through the ears, then it is an exclusive experience. If sound is thought to be more of a whole body experience, it becomes inclusive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post