Importance of Touch

BLOG POST 1

The five senses always intrigued me. Although I love all sorts of delicious foods, the sense of touch has always been my favorite.
Growing up on a stunning ranch in the middle of beautiful Oregon, I have always been surrounded by animals big and small. A part of my everyday routine was tending to my furry friends. In the morning I would feed my horses their breakfast and stroke them gently on the neck. That was our time to check in together and listen to each other’s breath. Depending on the horse the pet would be different. For some it would be a hardy scratch in an itchy sport and for others it was would be a gentle nuzzle.
As we discussed in class a simple touch, and exchange of heat can do so much for us mammals. Babies rely on the warm chest of their mothers for warmth and safety and without that they can risk serious neurological damage.
My time on my beautiful ranch has taught me many things about Mother Nature. When I was fifteen years old my beloved miniature horse, Sparkle, gave birth to a precious little filly. I watched Sparkle gently nurture her baby from day one to weaning. In the filly’s first days Sparkle would always keep nuzzling her baby and shield her from anything approaching. As the filly matured she would run gallop and play but always in viewing distance of her mother. Through Sparkle’s warm touch the filly grew to be strong both mentally and physically. I am blessed to have both mother daughter on our ranch and part of our family today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post