Nostalgia of Chinese Food


Looking back into my childhood I remember my mother cooking dinner every night for my family, except for special occasions where we would order out. The most eventful outing would be when we ordered Chinese food and my father would ask if anyone wanted to come for the ride. I've always loved car rides with my dad, so I was always first to perk up and join him for the ride. There was nothing like sitting with the warm food in my lap and getting to pick at the food before anyone at home had their opportunity. We would spread it all out on the table and our family of six would devour it, but always leave just enough to save as leftovers. Chinese food was a common oder in our family as everyone loved picking their favorite foods for each box.

One night when I was around 10 years old, I was sick in my bedroom that was only a staircase away from the kitchen. I kept myself tucked away and tried to keep myself as occupied as a sick 10 year old could be. This was one of the nights where my parents were exhausted and wanted to treat themselves to order out, but having no appetite and feeling terrible I didn't give them my order and was very disinterested in joining my family for the meal. However, lingering up the steps to my bedroom was no smell other than my favorite Chinese dishes, steak on a stick and lo mein. The scent fogged my room, and no matter how much I blocked the door or shoved my head in my pillow I could not escape it. This was a miserable combination for my unsettled stomach when usually this smell would have me running down the stairs in absolute glee.


For years after this occurrence, I couldn't merely waft the smell of Chinese food without feeling absolutely sick to my stomach. From running into my bedroom to speed walking through food courts pinching my nose, I constantly feared that the simple reoccurrence of the smell would take me back to the night in my bedroom and make me sick all over again. Although delightful smells usually bring me back to a pleasant experience, like smelling a perfume that reminds me of my first kiss, this is one smell intertwined memory I would be grateful to forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post