Hearing Faith and Love

This week, in particular, I have been thinking a lot about the importance of my faith and hearing God's word. From experience, I believe that to have religion in your life is so important, especially in times of sorrow, doubt, and fear. While reading Rasmussen's book, I thought about how wonderful it is to hear God's word through music. In the Protestant church we have hymns so I can appreciate the musical religious practices. The emotions that surface while hearing music in a religious setting are intense and can bring on powerful memories. Any time I hear the hymn Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord?) I tear up, no matter what. Listening to religious singing is such a wonderful thing to experience in faith.

http://faithisland.org/faith/hearing-the-voice-of-god/

I am currently going through a bit of a rough patch in my personal life and I have been getting a lot of guidance from people. Listening to the advice I am given has been helping so much. My parents, friends, and professors have all been supporting me and telling me exactly what I need to hear. I think the next best thing for me to do is to go to my church, hear my ministers speak, sing the hymns and remember that all will be okay.

Comments

  1. Your post made me reflect on my own experiences of sound and religion. My home church has both a children's and adult choir, organ/organist, and at the holidays, almost a full band with numerous instruments. However, when my family cannot get to church on Sunday mornings, sometimes we opt to go to another church for mass on Sunday night. This mass is only 25-30 minutes long because there is no music, singing, or instruments which definitely makes for a different experience. Although I am not the best singer, I definitely agree with you that it is wonderful to hear God's word through music, and I appreciate this musical aspect of religious traditions and practices so much. You alluded to how healing music can be, too. Thank you for sharing, Eliza!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post