Spiced Rum

 


The first time I ever had alcohol outside of a church was Tuesday, October 10th of 2017, the night after my grandfather’s funeral. My siblings and I sat in our parents’ kitchen and they gave me tablespoons full of whatever they were drinking to find out what I liked. When my brother gave me some of his spiced rum, I smiled, licked my lips, and my sister cheered: “She likes it! She’s like us! She’s a pirate!” before high-fiving my brother. That moment spiraled from that one drink to a sort of competition between my siblings. Whoever I shared the most similar taste with must be the sibling I was closest to.

While rum is a distilled rather than fermented alcohol, this moment reminds me of the idea of ‘shibboleths.’ My siblings felt more confident that I was “like them” since I showed a preference for the same drinks. This moment couldn't have happened if it hadn't have been for my grandfather's funeral. In our grief, we had to find ways to know that we were alike. That we weren't alone. That we could lean on one another for support.

I think that is what shibboleths must really be for. It isn't just about knowing who is with you and who is against you. It's about recognizing how deep your connections with another person go.








Comments

  1. Great observations about shared sensory experiences and identiy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its interesting to see the cultural implications of consuming alcohol in different contexts, and the social connections that consuming alcohol can foster. Even though it isn't a revered practice in so many regions, it has and in my guess will continue being a means of connection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post