Food and Family

 In Kitchen, food, and Family by Elizabeth Perez, she includes some field notes about a guy giving a woman he loves oxtails after she requests them of him. After he says I love you to her. 

Whenever I bake my Mom always asks me why I would put in so much work for something that I could buy at the store. I like it doing the work is always my answer. But that's not the whole truth, it's also about who I'm baking for. Whenever I bake it's always for family and friends. The other reason I enjoy baking is because it is my way of telling people I  love and appreciate them being in my life. I don't think I could ever run a bakery because I would have to bake for strangers and rude people and I know I couldn't do that.

Comments

  1. I totally understand what you're saying Sarah! I love cooking for the people I care about it feels so much more meaningful than buying them something from the store, even if it turns out bad, because of all the time, effort and love put into it. The ritual is what makes it special, it was made with the person in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your post made me think about love languages when you said "The other reason I enjoy baking is because it is my way of telling people I love and appreciate them being in my life." Is your love language Acts of Service? Cooking a meal is an act of service because it requires thought, time, and effort. It is considered an expression of love because it is done with positivity and a loved ones ultimate happiness in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post