St. John Passion

On Sunday evening, I attended the St. Joh Passion, Emmanuel music concert. While I admit that I was a bit hesitant about attending considering I had a huge exam the following morning, I will follow up by tell you that I enjoyed the concert so much that I decided to stay and experience the concert in its entirety. As a Catholic, I could not have thought of a better way to reflect on the Passion of Christ during Lent. Before attending college and thus moving away from home, my parents would make my sisters and I attend several masses during Holy Week as a sign of reverence for Jesus dying on the cross of us. While I would get annoyed at times, I look back now and realize how much I truly miss the experiences of Holy Week and Lent in general. Sunday's event spiritually enveloped me and reminded me of my faith.



In my opinion, the experience was much more intimate than any other concert I have ever attended. Beginning with the orchestra's first note, the ambiance in the chapel changed completely from muffled and tiresome to quiet, respectful, emotional and spiritual. In my Catholic grade school, one way teachers would try to get students to sing during mass each Friday was by telling us that singing was one of the most powerful forms of prayer.

Epiphany Catholic School Choir, Miami,FL 

Though it did not inspire me much at the time, it has become evident to me now that singing is indeed one of the most powerful forms of prayer. The act of speaking to God in passionate unison is truly powerful. The evangelist and Jesus roles during Sunday's concert added to the realism of the service. As I read the english translation of the lyrics, I listened to the melody and tone of both the orchestra and of the singers. The combination of the words with the relevant musical connotation enhanced the experience. I also believe that physically being present for the concert and actually watching the conductor and singers during the performance intensifies the message being portrayed. With each bodily motion of the conductor and with each deep breath of the evangelist, the audience becomes more and more devoted to Jesus and the unconditional love He had for us.
This is the first page of Bach's Passio secundum Johannen or St. John Passion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post