The Sounds of Memories

     Silence is a deeply unsettling noise and somehow does not allow my brain to form thoughts to its full capacity or even fully focus. Recently, I have been listening to various types of music while studying, such as instrumental, rap, hip-hop, or even reggae music like Sublime. Many of these genres I have been experimenting with have been distracting me with vivid memories from the past.
 My morning commute to high school
   Ackerman mentions that hearing can connect us to various feelings or memories, whether that be cultural, social, familial, or even seasonal, like the sound of your pumpkin spice latte being made at your local Starbucks. In my case, in studying with music, various tracks connect me back to various memories. Classical brings me back to when I was young, sitting on an uncomfortable wooden bench playing decent, clanky notes on the ancient piano while my piano teacher instructed me to play the measure over and over and over again, which somehow did not help me learn the new piece. The loud banging of the bass in rap music brings the annoying memory of blasting music to keep myself alert on my 6:00 am commute to school; people could definitely hear it clearly outside of my car.  
                                                                  
                                                                                                                  
   
    Ackerman also writes how sound can bring us to feel diverse emotions. My strongest memory by far comes from the soft voices and intermittent music of NPR. I am back in my mother's old pickle green minivan, sitting patiently in my car seat listening to the short trumpet music that played between each story or even them asking for donations to receive some cheap tote bag or mug. Even the game show announcer's voices remain glowing in my head, even if I didn't understand a thing that was happening. I have attached the musical composition to give reference to what I am referring to.
   It is also mentioned in the recent section how sounds can trigger physical responses. Goosebumps wash over me as I sit in a crowd listening to a symphony play. Some music does not trigger memories or even capturable emotions; tears just start to form in my eyes and wash down my face. It may only be the minor notes played, the slow tempo, or even the lower pitch.
​    Although I am neither religious nor raised in a religious household, these sounds hold a form of deep tranquility and reflection. It submerges me in hope that the world will be okay and I am not alone in the struggles I face, even though it may seem that way in my head. It brings me a form of faith in people, animals, and the beautiful nature that surrounds us; most importantly, it gives me faith in myself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorable Moments: time and place

Naming Scents: The Ambiguous Nature of Describing Smell

Justice