Sound and unity/ House Music and Togetherness ꩜

 Sound and Unity/House Music and Togetherness

    When thinking about how sound is used for healing, I always think about the music therapy I had to attend in residential. Every week, me and the other patients would be forced to tap out how we felt that day on a rain drum and pick a song to psychoanalyze. It was my least favorite hour and a half of each week, worse than the awkward group therapy or lowkey scary donkey petting. It was boring and cringey and didn't make me feel closer to the other people there with me. If that was all I considered when thinking about how sound brings people together, I'd think it did a pretty ass job. But outside of those grueling sessions, music played a very different role for us. One of the other six patients loved house music. He'd bump it so loud through his headphones that we could all hear it and we'd dance together.  It was silly and fun and took our minds off harder things. This little ritual brought me so much joy and brought us all closer together. Experiencing the music together showed me how sound can unite people even in, and maybe particularly in, dark times. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Memorable Moments: time and place

Naming Scents: The Ambiguous Nature of Describing Smell

Justice