Religion in the Kitchen - Aidan Travis


The book, Religion in the Kitchen: Cooking, Talking, and the Making of Black Atlantic Tradition by Elizabeth Pérez is a very interesting Anthropological look at different Black Atlantic religions. The readings from this book lead me to thinking in an introspective way about what I eat and how I eat, as well as what I cook and how I cook. 
I eat a lot of meat, I would say that I average somewhere between two and three meals a day with meat in it, but I have never killed an animal (besides the one bird I killed while driving), butchered an animal or cleaned an animal for meal preparation. Reading about how much effort goes into these steps, hunched backs of people plucking chickens, the spoons being separated to their pot with electrical tape and the significance that each part of the animal has to the Lucumí religion, makes me rethink how I prepare and eat food. It makes me think about how I treat cooking in my life, and all of the purpose that I lack within it.  
In my household, food has many different purposes and origins. My father was born in Portugal, and when we are with his family, who mostly live in Canada now, we have large meals with lots of people that are in a somewhat unorganized fashion. Large dishes of food are left out and people just take food as they please. My older relatives have encouraged me to try the different dishes and they encourage all of the younger people in my family to try all the food. Also, whenever you enter someone’s household, you are offered whatever food or drink that they can put together for you at that moment.
 On my mother's side, we as a family only all meet together for certain holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter Sunday. These meals are much different, everyone waits and watches T.V or whatever they want to do, as the women cook the dinner. This gender separation is very similar to that of the Lucumí religion. When everything is finished, we assemble at the table, pass around dishes with different foods on them, and then create our plates. When all is finished, we say a prayer and then eat. 

After reading this book, I notice the lack of spirituality in my food. The lack of purpose when it comes to what I do in the kitchen. I believe that I have a slightly better understanding of the spirituality of food in my life, that there is a balance between what the food represents, and the raw numbers of calories, fat, protein, and carbohydrates that the food is made up of.  So often we disassociate our meals with the animals and places that it comes from, bringing our minds back to where the food actually comes from wouldn’t hurt.
Image result for chicken farm free range

Comments

  1. Aidan,

    I agree with your statement about the lack of spirituality in food. When you appreciate the food you are eating, it definitely makes the whole experience much more meaningful. Very interesting blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certain kinds of food preparation, such as the ones Perez describes, or the family Thanksgiving ones your classmate Emily Embury refers to in her post, can "evaluatively condition" them to feel "spiritual." In other words, the spirituality isn't inherent in the tastes and smells themselves, but is "created" through the affective social rituals that make them feel special. Focused, intentional human actions _make them spiritual_.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about the importance of knowing where our food comes from! Food is more than just food when people take the time to think about where each ingredient comes from, the process the ingredients went through to get on a plate in your dining room table, the number of people involved, etc. It's basically a collection of stories. When we decide not to actively take the time to appreciate where our food comes from, it's easier to take the food for granted. Having meals on the table is definitely a privilege, so we should try to take the time do think about what it took for it to be on the plate in front of us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post